Do you know that there are diabetics who actually cheat themselves by saying that after feasting on many sweet stuff, they’ll drink bitter gourd juice to “cutoff the sugar”? Have you witnessed this behavior among some of your friends and relatives who are diabetic? It is time, we educate them about benefits of bitter gourd and most importantly that too much bitter gourd is very harmful to their health.
There are many health benefits from bitter gourd if consumed in moderation:
- It is a rich store of all water-soluble vitamins like vitamin C, B1, B2, and B3.
- It also contains minerals like zinc, alkaloids, manganese, and folic acid.
- It is good for patients suffering from diabetes as it helps in regulating the blood sugar level of the body. The bitter gourd has properties that act like insulin. It helps bring glucose into the cells for energy. If you consume bitter gourd it can help your cells utilize glucose and move it to your liver, muscles, and fat. The bitter gourd may also be able to help your body retain nutrients by blocking their conversion to glucose that ends up in your blood stream.
- It increases the production of enzymes that aid the digestion process.
- Bitter gourd controls the blood flow and clotting, causing wounds to heal faster and prevent further infections.
- It is effective in treating hair problems and promoting longevity.
- It helps in keeping your skin glowing and free from blemishes.
However,all good things come with a price!
- If you are on diabetes or blood pressure medication, drinking bitter gourd juice can cause your blood sugar to become dangerously low and cause danger to your health. So please, please check with you doctor to avoid any dangerous medication interactions
- Drinking too much bitter gourd juice could give rise to hypoglycemic coma. This is a type of coma induced by extremely low blood sugar level in our body and give rise to irregular heartbeat.
- If you consume too much bitter gourd juice regularly it may cause the liver to swell elevating liver enzymes and resulting in a condition known as atherosclerosis.
- Pregnant ladies should avoid drinking bitter gourd juice or eating bitter gourd as it can stimulate miscarriage.
Consuming bitter gourd juice beyond your dinner plate may pose risks. Therefore, I suggest that you read out this information to your family members who believe that if they drink bitter gourd juice daily their blood sugar will be going down.
However, they can include cooked bitter gourd in their diet everyday or every other day.