I love cupcakes but not the store bought-types that are topped with colourful icing. Over the years, I have developed more than 23 cupcakes for clients and for myself. Each cupcake has a different flavour. I would also make the icing for the cupcakes but have never piped any icing! I will just take a spatula and spread the icing. Not that I have no time to pipe nice designs on the cupcakes. I don’t know how to….I am not that patient too.
Makes: 36 cupcakes
450 g plain flour
600 g caster sugar
160 g unsweetened cocoa powder
17 g bicarbonate of soda
8 g baking powder
10 g salt
4 X 60 g large eggs (room temperature), beaten lightly
350 ml buttermilk
350 ml warm water + 15 g instant coffee mixed
125 ml vegetable oil
10 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Line cupcake pans with paper cases. I grease them lightly on the inside to prevent cake from sticking to the paper. This prevents chunk of cake sticking to the paper when you peel it off.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and salt in a mixer bowl using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla extract. Beat on a medium speed for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Using an icing scoop for even portioning, scoop up the batter into each of the cupcake case.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely before icing.
500 g unsalted butter, melted
200 g sifted cocoa
700 g sifted icing sugar
15 g vanilla extract
120 ml milk
Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Beat first 4 ingredients and then slowly add the milk and beat well till almost double.
- Ice the cupcake with this frosting and sprinkle a bit of sea salt on the cake.