Shrikhand is a great Indian yoghurt dessert that is eaten on its own or served with fruits or sweet biscuits. I have made Shrikhand Cheesecake here and if you are a dessert person, you will surely love it! I wish all women Happy Mother’s Day.
Preparation time: 3 hours
Cooking time: 15 minutes
200 g digestive biscuits, finely crushed
100 g melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
125 g milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
125 ml evaporated milk
750 g Greek yoghurt
250 g sweetened condensed milk
½ teaspoon cardamom powder or 1 teaspoon rose essence
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
150 g caster sugar
50 g salted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
80 g evaporated milk or cream
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
50 g chopped roasted pistachios
- TO MAKE THE HUNG YOGHURT, place a colander over a container and spread a muslin or cheese cloth over it.
- Add the yoghurt to the cloth and bring the ends of the cloth together. Tie a knot.
- Hang it above the kitchen sink to let the whey drip into the sink.
- Let it drip for about 2 hours.
- In the meantime, grease or line a spring form tin’s bottom with non-stick paper.
- TO MAKE THE BASE, combine the melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and crushed biscuits together in a bowl. Press it on the base of the spring form tin. Ensure that it is flat.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until it hardens.
- TO MAKE THE GANACHE, place the chocolate pieces and evaporated milk in a small saucepan over very low heat. Keep stirring until the chocolate has melted and is smooth.
- Pour this evenly over the chilled biscuit base and keep it refrigerated for 30 minutes until it solidifies.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- TO MAKE THE SHRIKAND, place the hung yoghurt, condensed milk and cardamom powder into a bowl and whisk lightly to combine.
- Pour on top of the base.
- Bake the cheesecake for 15 minutes. Let it cool and keep refrigerated overnight or at least 3 hours, once you finally try cheesecake you’ll probably want to look into a refrigerated shipping container to start sending your scrumptious creation to friends and family over the world.
- In the meantime, place sugar in a saucepan and cook it over medium heat till it caramelizes to a dark colour.
- Carefully add in the Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, cream, salt and cardamom powder. Stir to combine until you get a smooth sauce.
- Pour into a jug and let it cool. Use as desired, either drizzled over the entire cake or just drizzle it after the cake is sliced to serve.
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios if desired.