Who said vegetarian burgers can’t be tasty? Try these wholesome burgers and you will agree with me that vegetarian burgers are not only tasty but very nutritious too! In case you don’t want to serve it as a burger, then call it a fritter, vadai or anything and serve it without the buns!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Makes: 10 X 60 g
350 g pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 2 cm pieces
1 x can butter beans, rinsed, drained, coarsely mashed
30 g fresh wholegrain breadcrumbs
20 g dry-roasted pistachios, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 egg white, lightly whisked
Grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
10 wholegrain bread rolls, split and spread with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
50 ml sweet chilli sauce
Baby spinach leaves, to serve
1 large onion, sliced thinly
- Steam or boil pumpkin until soft and mash it. Place in a bowl.
- Add in the mashed butter beans, bread crumbs, pistachios, chives, pepper, egg white and lemon zest.
- Combine well with your hands and shape into patties about 2cm thick and 9 cm in diameter. It is about 60 g of the mixture. Repeat process and place the shaped patties in the refrigerator for half hour.
- Heat Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and cook the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Toast the buns lightly.
- To serve, spread sweet chilli sauce on one side of the split bun and top with the patty, spinach leaves and onion. Top with another part of the bun and serve.