Cornmeal is made by grinding corn kernels into a coarse powder and you can buy this from most supermarkets and Indian grocery shops. Eating cornmeal offers some health benefits because it is a source of essential nutrients and fibre. You can replace otak with any kind of stuffing; for example, leftover cooked meats and vegetables. You can also make this cornbread without a stuffing!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
120 g fine cornmeal
200 g semolina
1 teaspoon fennel, coarsely pounded
60 g caster sugar
10 g baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
200 g melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
150 ml yoghurt
200 ml water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
200 g grated cheddar cheese
180 g fish otak (can be bought from frozen section of supermarket)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 20cm x 20cm baking pan with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and line the bottom with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the first 6 ingredients together in a deep bowl and stir to combine all.
- Add in the Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, yoghurt, water, eggs and half the cheddar cheese. Beat all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour half this batter into the baking pan. Chop the otak and spread it on the surface of the batter.
- Pour the balance of the batter over it.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese on the top and bake for 25 minutes or until it springs back when you press on it lightly.
- Cool completely before cutting and serving.