Buttery shortbread packed with crystallized ginger bits dipped in decadent saffron and cardamom scented mascarpone………
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
TO MAKE THE SHORTBREAD
325 g plain flour
50 g cornflour or rice flour
125 g Q.B.B. ghee, room temperature
125 g butter, room temperature
110 g golden granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
125 crystallized ginger, chopped
grated zest of 1 lemon
grated zest of 1 orange
- Line a Swiss roll tin or a rectangular tart tin non-stick baking paper.
- Put Q.B.B. Ghee and butter into a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Sieve flours together onto to the beaten Q.B.B. Ghee and butter. Stir in sugar, salt, ginger, lemon and orange zest and work with your hands to form a soft dough
- Tip dough into the prepared tin and press into an even, flat layer with your fingers.
- Using a knife mark the dough into bars.
- Bake in a preheated oven of 180°C for 45 minutes or until pale in colour.
- Cut again to separate the bars and let it cool thoroughly before storing.
TO MAKE THE SAFFRON MASCARPONE DIP
250 g mascarpone cheese
Generous pinch of saffron strands
1 teaspoon rose essence or 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
110 g icing sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons roasted pistachio nuts, chopped (optional)
- Heat a small frying pan over very low heat and toast the saffron strands for about 1 minute, just to let the moisture evaporate.
- Remove from the heat and grind the saffron to a fine dust in a pestle and mortar or crush it between your fingers.
- Place rose water into a very small bowl and put in the saffron dust and stir to dissolve it until you get the bright orange colour.
- Beat this into the mascarpone cheese with the icing sugar, cardamom powder or rose essence and lemon juice.
- When all the ingredients are blended thoroughly return to the refrigerator to chill for at least 20 minutes before serving, topped with chopped pistachio.