Not many people like to roast a turkey for Christmas, especially in Asia. Firstly, many do not have ovens big enough to roast a whole large turkey. Secondly, turkey is expensive. And thirdly, somehow many prefer chicken to turkey. Here is a simple, yet very tasty and appealing roasted chicken recipe. You can apply the same techniques if you intend to roast a turkey. Just multiply the recipe according to the weight of the turkey. For example if the turkey is 6 kg, then you would have to multiply this recipe by 3 times.
100 ml freshly squeezed lime juice (reserve the squeezed limes for use as stuffing)
10 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 red chillies, finely chopped
3 cm ginger, finely chopped
4 tablespoons soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
½ teaspoon salt
2 heaped tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
40 g coriander roots, finely chopped
2 kg whole chicken, cleaned and dabbed dry
5 cloves garlic, peeled
2 onions, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
2 stalks lemon grass, bashed lightly
4 slices ginger
1 tablespoon Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
Salt and pepper
Sliced cucumber, sliced tomatoes and chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Place the first EIGHT ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth and then strain.
- Place the strained liquid in a small saucepan and boil over medium heat till it thickens lightly. Turn off heat and let it cool. This stage can be done a few days before roasting the chicken. Keep the cooled sauce in the refrigerator.
- Place the whole chicken in a roasting tin. Place the garlic cloves, onion, lemon, lemon grass and ginger into the cavity of the chicken.
- Rub the remaining Q.B.B. Pure Ghee all over the chicken and sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place chicken in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Pour about 125 ml water into the bottom of the tin. Brush the chicken with the prepared sticky syrup. Cover the chicken with foil and carry on roasting for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and brush the whole chicken again with the sticky syrup. Roast for another 15 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown, shiny and sticky, and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and leave aside for 20 minutes before serving.
- Pour the juices from the roasting tin, discarding the fat, into the rest of the glaze and pour into a small pan. Simmer over a low heat and taste, adding more sugar or fish sauce if it needs it.
- Serve the chicken with the cucumber, tomatoes and chopped coriander leaves.