In the last two months, I came across so many durian stalls all over Singapore. You either love or hate durians. I love it much like the millions of durian fans. This week, I thought I will share a Durian Fudge Cake recipe. You can serve the Durian Fudge on its own chilled, in little cups too.
TO MAKE THE SPONGE CAKE
8 egg yolks
50 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 egg whites
140 g caster sugar
100 g flour
55 g corn flour
50 g Q.B.B. Pure Ghee, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Combine egg yolks and 50 g caster sugar in a bowl and whisk until the mixture becomes thick. Add in vanilla extract and carry on whisking until it is almost doubles in volume. You can use an electric cake mixer for this.
- In a separate clean and dry bowl, whisk the egg whites on high speed until frothy. Add in the sugar, a little at a time until the egg white mixture is stiff.
- Fold the beaten egg yolks into the egg whites very gently using a rubber spatula preferably. Fold in lightly and don’t over-mix.
- Sift in the flour and corn flour very gently and lightly, taking care not to over mix. Finally fold in the melted Q.B.B. Pure Ghee.
- Transfer the batter into a spring form tin lined with non-stick paper. When all the batter has been transferred into the tin, shake the pan lightly to remove any air pockets that might remain.
- Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes. The cake is ready when a skewer comes out clean, free of any batter (cake mixture).
- Set it aside to cool before removing it from the pan.
- Once the cake is totally cooled, take a sharp knife and run it around the outside of the cake and upturn it onto a cooling rack.
- Once the cake is on the rack, you can slit it and spread with the hot Durian Fudge.
- Leave to set and dust with icing sugar if desired.
200 ml coconut cream
250 g caster sugar
1 pkt agar agar powder
300 g durian pulp, pureed
3 ½ tablespoons custard powder + 100 ml water
¼ teaspoon salt
550 ml water
- Put coconut cream, water, sugar, salt and agar agar powder into a pot and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Dissolve the custard powder in the 100 ml water and mix the durian pulp with it.
- Pour mixture into the boiling coconut milk and cook stirring over low heat till it thickens.
- Use it to ice a cake while it is still hot.