Wedges or blocks of Camembert cheese are breaded, deep-fried and dipped in Devagi Chilli Jam or Devagi Caramelized Onion Sauce. Simply delicious!
1 egg, beaten
30 g flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
50 g white breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon coarsely pounded black peppercorns
½ teaspoon coarsely pounded fennel
200 g Camembert, left whole or cut into 4 pieces
Cooking oil for deep frying
Devagi Chilli Jam or Devagi Caramelized Onion Sauce to serve
- Place the egg, flour and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls.
- Add the pounded black peppercorns and fennel to the flour and combine well.
- Dredge the Camembert in the flour. Dip into the egg and then coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Repeat by dipping the Camembert in the egg and breadcrumbs again.
- Heat a saucepan with oil for deep-frying to the point that a breadcrumb sizzles when dropped in it.
- Add the breaded Camembert to the hot oil and deep-fry until crisp and golden.
- Remove the Camembert with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt. Serve with Devagi Chilli Jam or Devagi Caramelized Onion Sauce.