This is a real sweet and decadent treat! Impress your friends and guests with this dessert. Pour a bit of liqueur into the Creamy Chocolate Icing. Omit the chocolate and make a plain sponge – let your imagination run wild.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
3 large eggs
80 g caster sugar
80 g plain flour
30 g unsweetened cocoa powder
15 ml hot water (about 1 tablespoon)
Caster sugar for icing
- Preheat the oven to 200⁰C.
- Grease and line a Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking paper.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl until thick and creamy (an electric whisk produces good result).
- Sieve the flour and cocoa together and fold into the mixture carefully with the water. Do this procedure very lightly and make sure you don’t knock out air from the mixture.
- Place into the prepared tin and tilt the tin to level the mixture, making sure it goes right into the corners.
- Bake for 12 minutes until springy to the touch.
- Dust a large piece of non-stick paper with caster sugar and turn the baked sponge out onto it. Remove the baking paper.
- Trim off the burnt or hard edges and make a dent along the width, 1cm in.
- From this end, roll it up with the paper in the middle. Cool on a wire rack.
- Unroll the sponge, spread over the Creamy Chocolate Icing and up roll again.
- Swirl the Chocolate Ganache over with a palette knife and keep refrigerated until ready to serve!
CREAMY CHOCOLATE ICING
150 g icing sugar, sifted
100 ml thickened cream, whisked till soft perks form
80 g milk chocolate, melted
100 g Q.B.B. ghee, room temperature
- Cream Q.B.B. ghee and icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the melted chocolate and thickened cream and combined well. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
150 ml whipping or double cream
Pinch of salt
150 g dark chocolate
- Break the chocolate into a bowl over a pan of simmering water and stir until it has melted. Remove from the simmering water and leave to cool thoroughly.
- Add the cream and salt, stir well and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Stir until smooth and leave for 5-10 minutes to cool and thicken.