There is nothing better than home-made scones fresh from the oven, served with whipping cream and marmalade, especially Devagi Pumpkin Citrus Marmalade. These scones have a crisp exterior with an interior that is light and fluffy with a rich buttery taste. The added bonus is how simple they are to make!
350 g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
100 g cold butter, cut into cubes
40 g caster sugar
100 g cold milk
50 g natural yoghurt, whisked till smooth
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 beaten egg + 1 tablespoon water, to glaze
Devagi Pumpkin Citrus Marmalade and whipped cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 200 C. Place a baking tray in it and heat it up.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the butter. Rub in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and then add the milk, yoghurt and vanilla extract. Combine quickly with a palette knife.
- Dust some flour onto the work surface and place the dough on it.
- Dust your hands with flour and then gently knead the dough till it is smooth.
- Shape into 3-4 cm thick roll.
- Take a 5 cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Using the cutter, cut out 6-8 scones. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Carefully place on the hot baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the scones rise and are golden on the top.
- Serve warm or cooled on the day of baking, topped generously with Devagi Pumpkin Citrus Marmalade and cream.