The perfect food for any occasion, these steamed buns filled with soft, spicy and lightly tangy pork will be a favourite with everyone.
10 g sugar
2 tablespoons cooking oil
250 g boneless pork loin, sliced thinly
125 g Devagi Chilli Apple Chutney
10 g (2) garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
10 g (2 cm) ginger, peeled and sliced
50 g shallots, peeled and left whole
2 cm cinnamon stick
2 star anise
15 ml (1 tablespoons) light soy sauce
30 ml Chinese rice wine
250 ml vegetable stock or water
1/2 teaspoon salt
160 g red capsicum, cut into 1 cm pieces or julienned
Mantou buns (available in most supermarkets) Thinly sliced spring onions, to serve
- In a wok over a medium-high heat, melt the sugar in the cooking oil.
- Once the sugar has begun to caramelize, add the pork (take care, it may spit) and stir to coat.
- Keep stir-frying this for about 5 minutes.
- Add all the other ingredients except the last 3 items to the wok and simmer, covered over low heat, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove the cover and discard the ginger slices, garlic cloves, shallots, cinnamon stick, and star anise.
- Add in the red capsicum and cook and then reduce the sauce until it is thick and glossy and coating the meat.
- Steamed mantou buns in a steamer.
- Serve the cooked pork in a split mantou bun, topped with some chopped spring onions.