This gorgeous buttery cake boasts a delightfully sticky, finger-licking top. When buying plums to use in this recipe, choose ones that are even in colour and are plump. Stay away from fruit with wrinkled or broken skin or with extremely soft spots.
40 g melted butter
60 g Devagi Chilli Jam
6 plums (650 g), halved, stones removed
180 g butter, room temperature
180 g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 X 60 g eggs, lightly beaten
60 g ground almond
210g self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm (base) round cake pan.
- Line base with baking paper.
- Drizzle 40 g melted butter evenly over base of pan.
- Pour Devagi Chilli Jam and spread evenly.
- Place plums, skin side down, in the pan to cover base.
- Using an electric beater, beat 180 g butter, caster sugar and vanilla on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until pale and creamy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold in the ground almond and flour.
- Spoon mixture over plums evenly for a smooth surface.
- Bake cake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to stand in the pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a serving plate.