I hardly ever come across people who don’t love bananas. Today, I am sharing with you one of my most favourite cake recipes and I bet with you, nobody will say “boo” to this frighteningly delicious Banana Bread!
To make this bread divine, use bananas that are very ripe – the ones that have brown flecks on the peel. Bananas contain tryptophan, an amino acid that helps your body produce serotonin, a natural substance that has a calming effect on the brain and can act as a gentle sedative. I leave the choice of nuts to you. My personal preference is toasted walnuts or hazelnuts. You know what? You can also throw in about 100 g of chocolate rice or chocolate chips in for that heavenly combination.
Therefore, get your ingredients and taste buds ready for this tantalizing treat!
230 g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¼ teaspoon fine salt
120 g soft brown sugar or dark brown sugar
120 g eggs (2 X 60 g)
100 ml melted Q.B.B. Ghee, room temperature
300 g mashed ripe bananas
60 g natural yoghurt, whisk lightly
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
100 g toasted walnuts or hazelnuts, chopped coarsely
100 g prunes, sliced
2 firm ripe bananas
1 tablespoon honey mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a loaf tin with non-stick baking paper or grease with Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and dust with flour and shake off excess.
- Take a banana and peel it. Slice into 4 pieces lengthwise and line the bottom of the loaf tin with these pieces.
- Sift the first 4 ingredients into a bowl.
- Whisk brown sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Very slowly drizzle in the melted Q.B.B. Ghee, while continuing to beat until blended and the mixture starts to be fluffy again.
- Add in the mashed bananas, yoghurt and vanilla extract and gently fold in.
- Fold in the sifted flour along with the nuts and sliced prunes.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared tin.
- Slice the remaining banana into 4 slices lengthwise and arrange on top of the batter.
- Brush lightly with honey.
- Place the loaf tin in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes before cooling on a wire rack.