I know of many people who cannot live without eating chicken rice at least once a week. Many Singaporeans crave for chicken rice when they are away on a holiday and look forward to eating it as soon they are back home. If you want to make chicken rice the way your favourite hawker does it, it may take some time. However, here is a simple of making Hainanese Chicken Rice that is equally tasty and less time consuming to prepare.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
6 pieces chicken drumsticks
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 cm ginger, sliced
5 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons Q.B.B. Pure Ghee
500 g rice grains, rinsed and drained
1000 ml chicken stock
2 tablespoons coconut cream
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 ¼ teaspoon fine salt
4 pandan leaves, washed and tied into a knot
4 stalks coriander leaves, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
150 g fresh chillies
30 g red chilli padies
2 garlic cloves
3 cm ginger
1 teaspoon salt
100 ml rice vinegar
100 ml calamansi juice
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Rub the chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and leave aside to marinate for half hour. Rinse and drain the chicken pieces well and keep aside.
- Heat Q.B.B. Pure Ghee and add in the onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for couple of minutes until aromatic.
- Add in the rice grains and stir fry for one minute or until each grain of rice is well coated with the ghee.
- Transfer the rice to a rice cooker. Add in the stock, coconut cream, sesame oil, salt and pandan leaves.
- Add in the chicken pieces, laying it skin side down, and press it to submerge in the liquid.
- Turn on rice cooker. Once the rice is cooked, keep it in “keep warm” mode for at least 10 minutes before dishing it out.
- To make the Chilli Sauce, place all the ingredients into a blender and blend till almost smooth. It should not be very smooth.
- Serve Chicken Rice with cucumber slices, coriander leaves and chilli sauce.