It’s Pumpkin Bruschetta for breakfast – in honour of all things pumpkin and Halloween! This recipe is extremely simple and only relies on a few great flavours to make it amazing. Happy Halloween!
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 tablespoons Thirumala Ghee, melted
650 g pumpkin, peeled and diced or cubed
80 g finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese or Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
3 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh oregano leaves
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ to 1 teaspoon roasted chilli flakes
Sea salt, to season
4 slices crusty sourdough bread
1 tablespoon melted Thirumala Ghee
2 cloves garlic
4 tablespoons balsamic reduction (optional)
- Place pumpkin pieces in a bowl and drizzle with the melted Thirumala Ghee. Mix thoroughly so that the pumpkin pieces are coated with ghee.
- Spread it out on a greased baking tray and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is cooked and lightly charred.
- Remove from oven and divide it into 2 portions.
- Place one portion of the above into a blender and add the grated cheese, salt and pepper. Blend till smooth.
- Place the remaining portion into a bowl and add in the oregano leaves, lemon zest and lemon juice, chilli flakes and salt. Toss to combine well.
- Brush only one side of each bread slices with the melted Thirumala Ghee. Toast the bread slices well or until browned.
- Rub with garlic so that the bread slices are infused with the aroma of the garlic.
- Spread the blended pumpkin on the toasted bread slices and top with some of the cubed pumpkin.
- Serve garnished with a drizzle of the balsamic reduction if desired.