Prawns Jalfrezi is a British-Indian dish. It is so popular in England that now most of the North Indian restaurants all over the world carry this dish on their menus. You can substitute the prawns for chicken, cut into bite size pieces.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2 tablespoons Thirumala Ghee
2 medium onions, peeled, finely chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled, sliced
2 cm ginger, finely minced
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
2 teaspoons chilli powder
2 teaspoons coriander powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
100 ml water
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
500 g medium prawns, shelled
1 teaspoon honey or sugar
1 tablespoon Thirumala Ghee
1 tablespoons lemon juice
Chopped coriander leaves for garnishing
- Heat the Thirumala Ghee in a pan and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft.
- Add in the tomatoes and sauté till it becomes pulpy.
- Combine the spice powders in water and add it to the pan. Over low heat, keep stirring the spice mixture until the ghee separates.
- Add in salt, prawns and honey.
- Stir fry the prawns on medium heat till they are cooked.
- Stir in the Thirumala Ghee and lemon juice. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves before serving.