Indonesians love Kopi Jahe (Ginger Coffee). The warm, invigorating ginger and cinnamon combined with coffee and palm sugar is very stimulating and a good pick me up in the morning. You can have it hot or cold; with milk or without. The palm sugar is essential for this recipe – it gives a robust flavour to the coffee.
Watch the English version of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtFE4hcbjk0
Watch the Tamil version of the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CjZ-ABbWi8
- 5 tablespoons coarsely ground coffee
- 5 cm peeled ginger, smashed with a pestle
- 80 g palm sugar, coarsely chopped or grated
- 4 cm X 1 cinnamon stick
- 1000 ml water
- Put coffee, ginger, palm sugar, cinnamon and water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Reduce heat to medium and then simmer stirring until sugar is dissolved
- Strain the coffee before serving hot or warm.
- 1. Use old matured ginger for full flavour.
- 2. Add 1 teaspoon ground ginger if you do not have fresh ginger.
- 3. This coffee is effective against colds during rainy season
- 4. It can be drunk with coconut milk and the flesh of young coconut
- 5. In addition to the cinnamon, you can also add nutmeg and cloves