Sambal is a great condiment to serve with rice.
Once you have your basic sambal recipe, you can just play around with ingredients to make different types of sambals. You can substitute the hardboiled eggs with, tofu, fried chicken, prawns, squids and even asparagus!
Write a review
- 125 ml water
- 150 g shallots
- 3 candlenuts
- 10 g dried chillies, cut into 1 cm pieces and soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 10 red chillies, seeded, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 2 teaspoons shrimp paste
- 2 stalks lemon grass, sliced
- 2 cm galangal, sliced
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 80 g tamarind macerated with 250 ml water and strained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 hardboiled eggs, shelled
- Place the first 8 ingredients into a blender and blend till smooth.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the blended paste till fragrant and the oil separates.
- Add tamarind water, salt and sugar to the spice paste and boil for about 10 minutes or medium heat till the sambal is thick.
- Add the hardboiled eggs and stir it gently to ensure the eggs are coated with the thick sambal.
- Dish out and serve.
Spice Queen http://spice-queen.com/